Why the Illinois Scholars Program
The Illinois Scholars Program Summer Bridge Experience is designed to help guide undergraduate students' transition to the University of Illinois for select admitted new students. The Illinois Scholars Program (ISP) aims to combine opportunity and access, experiential learning and support to position students for academic success and personal growth throughout their time at Illinois.
Summer Virtual Experience | July 20 - August 14
The Summer experience of ISP will be modified for students to participate virtually online. The summer virtual experience will provide:
- Academic preparedness in math and writing for first year courses
- Individualized support to help navigate the transition from high school to college
- Skills for setting healthy academic goals
- Familiarity with the University's technology resources
- Participation in a peer mentorship program
Students who successfully complete the summer experience will receive a stipend and four (4) years of inclusive excellence academic support.
- Admitted students to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Resident of the state of Illinois
- Students must be part of the Academic Achievement Program (AAP) in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences or the Education Enrichment Program (EEP) in the Division of General Studies
- Priority given to students who are first generation, from low sending counties and/or who received fee waivers.
What Current Students Say about ISP
"Being part of ISP not only have I learned to use the resources on campus but also how to navigate the websites that are used in the classroom during the school year and being able to share my knowledge with others. In the process, I've met incredible people both faculty and students, who have made my experience a whole lot more exciting!"
—Casandra Vences, ISP Summer 2018, double major in Political Science and Sociology (LAS)
"ISP allowed me to learn and navigate the Illinois campus ahead of time by helping learn all of the campus which giving me a head-start on other freshman. I was able to make long lasting friendships and connections with staff members. ISP taught me that you are not alone and college can be rough. I recommend ISP if you are scared going to into college because it will allow you to see that you are ready for the challenges to come and lets you know of all the resources on campus. "
—Frank Cabrera, ISP Summer 2019, double major in Communication and History (LAS)
"ISP really helped me navigate the social side of U of I. It was way easier come August when I already knew 30 or so kids. It also really helped me get the fundamentals of college down before I actually had classes. Nothing that I encountered, like the lack of calculators in math, really scared me because I already knew about it."
—Mark Cole, ISP Summer 2018, Natural Resources and Environmental Science (ACES)
Information Session | July 1, 4:30 - 5:30 pm
Are you interested in learning more about the Illinois Scholars Program? Please join us for a virtual information session on Wednesday, July 1 from 4:30 to 5:30 pm. Meet the program director and talk with current ISP students about their first year at Illinois and your questions.
To register for this session, please contact Dr. Gioconda Guerra Pérez, Executive Associate Vice Chancellor for Diversity, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-244-3674.